A great, fun opportunity for students to practise and improve their Mandarin Chinese language skills.
Taking part in the competition:
- increases students’ motivation for learning the language
- develops vocabulary and improves pronunciation
- raises confidence for oral examinations
- encourages students to interact with their classmates
- inspires students to discover more about Chinese culture.
Northern Ireland heat
Post-primary schools from across Northern Ireland took part in the Belfast heat of British Council's Mandarin Chinese Speaking Competition at Ulster University, Belfast on Wednesday, 20th November 2019.
Pupils from Lumen Christi College - including their Group entry, Annita Sibin (Beginners' Category) and Leo Doherty (Intermediate) have all made it through to the London final on February 5 and will compete to win a fully-funded educational and cultural visit to China.
What is the prize?
A week in Beijing. Students will visit historical sites, interact with Chinese students and experience Chinese culture with the British Council, who have over twenty years’ experience in running cultural exchanges with China.
Applications for 2019/20
Applications for the 2019/20 British Council Mandarin Speaking Competition are now closed - the competition will open again in autumn 2020.