A great, fun opportunity for students to practise and improve their Mandarin Chinese language skills.
Taking part in the competition:
- increases students’ motivation for learning the language
- develops vocabulary and improves pronunciation
- raises confidence for oral examinations
- encourages students to interact with their classmates
- inspires students to discover more about Chinese culture.
Northern Ireland heat
Post-primary schools from across Northern Ireland took part in the Belfast heat of the HSBC / British Council Mandarin Chinese Speaking Competition at The MAC, Belfast on November 27 2018.
The winners of the Northern Ireland heat - Thornhill College, Foyle College and Rathmore Grammar - have now been put forward to the UK-wide heat in the British Museum, London in February 2019 – with the overall winner, winning a week in Bejing.
This heat was kindly supported by the Confucius Institute at Ulster University.
What is the prize?
A week in Beijing. Students will visit historical sites, interact with Chinese students and experience Chinese culture with the British Council, who have over twenty years’ experience in running cultural exchanges with China.
Applications for 2018/19
Applications for the 2018/19 competition are now closed.